Kerri - June 2020
TUBMAN OVER JACKSON ON THE $20 BILL stamping in an act of "civil disobedience"
In response to the decision by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin to delay replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with Harriet Tubman, many people have turned to using a stamp to imprint a portrait of Harriet Tubman over Andrew Jackson on their bills in an act of ‘civil disobedience’.
HOW WE GOT HERE
- On May 12, 2015, Harriet Tubman was announced as the winning candidate of a “grassroots” poll of more than 600,000 people surveyed to have her portrait on the $20 bill. The goal was to have a woman on the $20 bill by 2020, the centennial of the 19th amendment which gave women the right to vote.
- On April 20, 2016, then-Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announced that Andrew Jackson would be replaced by Harriet Tubman on the front of the $20 bill, with Andrew Jackson appearing on the reverse with a redesign of the white house as well.
- Early in 2017, soon after President Trump took office, and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin refused to commit to the Obama administration’s plan to put Tubman on the $20 bill, artist Dano Wall decided to create a stamp on his 3-D printer that could be used to superimpose Harriet Tubman’s portrait on the bill.
- On May 22, 2019, after being pressed by Rep. Ayanna Pressley, Mnuchin stated that the primary reason of the redesign was to combat counterfeiting issues with the $20 bill. With this reasoning, he also stated that this would be postponed until 2028. (see video below)
- After the official announcement by Mnuchin to delay the redesign, 10’s of thousands of “activists” got involved and started stamping their money, making it near impossible for the original artist to keep up with demand. In an effort to put the project above his own personal profits, Mr. Wall released his design to stamp makers all across the country in hopes of getting as many stamps as possible into the hands of the newly minted “activists”, essentially making it impossible to ignore the will of the people to honor Harriet Tubman and the larger contribution of Women in our society as a whole.
We Have Joined The Effort
In a cooperative effort, tapping into years of experience with creating stamps with our partners specifically for stamping on money; projects including the popular money tracking site www.WheresGeorge.com and Ben and Jerry’s Stamp Stampede, we have begun producing Dano Wall’s original design. We have included enhancements to the stamp that we have learned from years of being the “experts” in the field. The most significant being the alignment of the stamp die on the self-inking mount to make lining up the stamp simple enough that anyone can do it. We have also created practice sheets that allow users to get used to stamping before marking the money in their wallets.
We offer the Tubman over Jackson on the $20 Stamp in both a self inking stamp and a see-thru acrylic mount stamp (includes stamp pad).
OUR TUBMAN OVER JACKSON ON THE $20 BILL STAMPS
ARE OFFERED WITH SEE THRU ACRYLIC OR SELF INKING CONSTRUCTION
Artist Created Design
Originally designed by NYC artist Dano Wall in 2017, the Harriet Tubman Stamp has become the new “face” for artistic activism. In response to the recent postponement of Tubman replacing Jackson on the $20, popularity for this stamp has increased. The original image for this stamp comes from a carte-de-visite portrait of Harriet Tubman taken by Benjamin Powelson in Auburn, NY in 1868, currently the earliest known photograph of her.
Expertly Crafted Stamps With Inventive Construction Deliver A Superior Stamping Experience
In cooperation with our partners, we have included enhancements to the design based on what we have learned from years of being the “experts” in the field. The most significant being the alignment of the stamp die on the self-inking mount to make lining up the stamp simple enough that anyone can do it. We have also created practice sheets that allow users to get used to stamping before marking the money in their wallets.
We offer the Tubman over Jackson stamps with self inking construction as well as with innovative, durable, see-thru acrylic mount construction -- with our enhancements, each permits easy alignment and precision stamping. Which ever construction you choose, you are sure enjoy a superior stamping experience.
4.9/5 Star Customer Experience
We aim to provide our customers with a 5 Star Customer Experience. We hope that they are pleased with our service and thrilled with the quality of their purchases. Accordingly, it is our great pleasure to report that our customers have rated us 4.9/5 Stars. We wish to thank the community for the positive reviews. We continue to make improvements as we strive to reach our goal and deliver a 5 Star Customer Experience. -- Ever Upward!